Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a recipe from my grandmother.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- Cream sugars, eggs, and shortening together.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until moistened and work into a dough.
- Roll into a 3 inch roll and wrap in wax paper.
- Slice off 1/4 inch slices and put on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees until cookies just start to brown.
These were just what I was looking for! My mom used to make them for my father - they are his favorites and we grew up knowing them as 'Daddy Cookies." I am staying with Dad during an illness and left my recipe at home - so glad I used yours. Thanks for posting - it's going right into my cookbook!!!