Recipe by drhousespcatcher
If you are like me and have major emotional problems when baking a cake or you simply don't want to add to the heat in the kitchen, this recipe from the 20s is a lifesaver.
- 3⁄4 lb powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 lb butter, softened
- 4 eggs, see note
- vanilla extract, see note
- 8 shortcake cups or 3 dozen ladyfingers
- 8 1⁄4 ounces crushed pineapple
- maraschino cherry
- 1 pint whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: It should not be whipped cream it should be WHIPPING CREAM. The amount of the vanilla is 2 cupfuls. Use pasteurized eggs if you are unsure of your eggs.
- Cream butter and sugar together. Separate eggs putting whites aside. Add yolks to sugar mix, one at a time and fold into the mix. Beat whites until they are stiff and fold into mixture. Now add 1 cupful of the vanilla. Stir gently.
- Line bottom of deep cake pan with wax paper. The author suggests making sure there is enough that you can cover the cake with it because it makes it much easier to remove.
- NOTE USE ONLY HALF OF EVERYTHING for this:.
- After lining the pan put in 4 of the shortcake cups (or half the lady fingers) aka layer one.
- Cover with the filling, aka layer two.
- Cover this with crushed pineapple, aka layer 3.
- Use whole cherries or slice whatever you like best, aka layer 4.
- Now I am being sadistic, but whip 1/2 pint of your cream until stiff and do NOT add sugar to it. Spread over cake. Welcome to layer 5.
- NOW REPEAT all five layers.
- Cover the cake making sure the wax paper is hanging over sides of pan. Chill overnight.
- Top with more whipped cream and cherries if you like.