Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
A co-worker gave this recipe to me over 40 years ago. Anyone that has tasted this bread has always asked for the recipe. It not only freezes well, but it makes a large batch that will keep for 6 weeks refrigerated.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups all-bran cereal or 2 cups bran buds
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 cup Crisco
- 4 eggs
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 cups all-bran cereal
- Pour boiling water over All-Bran or Buds and let stand.
- Cream together Crisco and sugar and add to bran.
- Add the well-beaten eggs and buttermilk and the soaked bran mixture.
- Then slowly add the flour, salt, soda and fold in 4 cups All-Bran.
- Store in covered container in the refrigerator and use as desired. Improves with age. If you have leftovers, microwave for about 20 seconds. When filling muffin pans, do not stir refrigerated batter. Bake for 20 minutes at 375°. Will keep 6 weeks in refrigerator.
This recipe is the ULTIMATE! I had another recipe that I thought could never ever compare until I tried this recipe! And I follow this awesome recipe to the ?T?. I use 2 cups of Bran Buds (it says you can use either All-Bran or Bran Buds) to the boiling water and when I do the dry ingredients I use the 4 cups of All-Bran as directed. <br/>When I make Ice Box Bran Muffins I always use the pans that make the large size muffins. Talk about a perfect 5 star muffin! Yummy yum! :~)
These muffins are wonderful!!! I did have trouble with the shortening/sugar becoming little lumps in the batter so next time I'll add the eggs and buttermilk to it before I add it to the bran. I also added raisans to the bran/hot water & they were plum and juicy!! yummy! Yummy!!
Just like my mother makes.