1/1 Photo of Ibs-Friendly Pizzas English Muffin & Sourdough
I have IBS and therefore am not supposed to eat red meat, dairy products, etc., but sometimes I have to work with what I have and what I can afford. I was really craving pizza last night so I created this recipe for myself and my bf. We sometimes try to splurge and he gets his real pepperoni and real cheese on his pizza and I get my substitutions, but this time, I couldn't afford it, nor could I afford ordering out, so I just made them partly homemade and he said he really liked them. The first variation is made with plain English Muffins. The second is made with Extra Sourdough bread. We've actually already had the muffin pizzas twice this week, and I had the second variation last night because we were out of muffins. I used Extra Sourdough bread because it needed to be used up before it went bad, but regular Sourdough bread should work just as well. French bread should also work just fine, as a variation, but I have only included two. Of course, add any additional toppings you prefer or change the amounts or cooking time to your tastes. I was just really going for a simple pizza. Mine was pepperoni and pineapple, the bf's was pepperoni only. Edited to add an update to this: Bf and I have been using a baking rack on top of the foil-lined baking sheet, which allows the bottoms to get crispy too. We have used french bread, english muffins, and sourdough bread very successfully, as well as having successful results using real cheese, regular pepperoni, etc. (for bf, since he doesn't have IBS).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to between 425-450 degrees F.
- 2Open the can of tomato sauce and add to it the desired amount of Italian seasoning and stir well.
- 3Spread desired amount of tomato sauce mixture on both sides of split English muffin halves.
- 4Top each half with desired amount of pepperoni, pineapple, or any other toppings you prefer. Make sure the pineapple is drained, but you can choose to save the juice. (I did and used it later on in a smoothie.) Do not add the cheese yet!
- 5Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place English muffin pizzas about an inch apart. Place baking sheet in preheated oven.
- 6Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes depending on how crispy or well-done you like your pizza and the toppings.
- 7When cooked to your liking, turn the oven temperature down to about 250 degrees F. Cheese may come out of package lumped together, which is fine and normal when it's cold; just place the desired amount on top of the pizzas and press down gently. I think that the three-cheese blend of cheddar, jack, and mozzarella flavors are really nice.
- 8Put pizzas back into oven for an additional 2-5mins watching very carefully as soy cheese melts differently than regular cheese.
- 9This particular English muffin pizza recipe was made for two (we had store-bought chicken wings on the side) so there will be leftover muffins, sauce, cheese, pepperoni, pineapple, and possibly any other toppings you chose to add. Just save the remaining sauce in the can covered with plastic wrap. Wrap up any other leftover toppings. The next time around, stir the tomato sauce, add any additional Italian seasoning if you prefer, and make your pizzas as described.
- 10For the (Extra) Sourdough bread pizzas, substitute each muffin half for one slice of bread. Follow the directions as above. Two slices of the Extra Sourdough bread pizza served one.
- 11Cooking times and oven temperatures may vary due to altitude and desired doneness. You or yours may also prefer a certain quantity of toppings that will affect the cooking time or how much is left over. Any additional toppings may add to prep and cooking time also.
- 12I think this would be a great lunch or weekend dinner "project" to help teach your kids about kitchen and cooking safety and have fun too, and they can even assemble their own pizzas, which is always neat! :).
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ibs-Friendly Pizzas English Muffin & Sourdough
Serving Size: 1 (341 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 414.5
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 104.6 mg
- Sodium 2386.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 19.1 g
- Protein 33.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
soy cheddar cheese