Recipe by PaulaG
With so many people having problems finding the sorghum, I revamped the recipe. This version produces a sweeter and lighter tasting muffin.
Top Review by Heather U.
Awesome muffins!! I have to be honest and say I was a little skeptical, mostly because I was unsure about the cocoa / yam / orange combination, but it works, and really well I might add! The flavors are subtle without being at all bland, and the streusel sets it off perfectly. My yield was 13 muffins. Subs: 1/2 c splenda + 1/4 c nonfat dry milk instead of sugar; 3 egg whites + 1 T liquid lecithin instead of 2 eggs.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cooked yam, cooled and mashed
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon to a small bowl and cut in softened butter.
- When mixture is well mixed stir in chopped pecans; set aside.
- Spray a 12-muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the flours, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, and salt.
- Lightly beat eggs with honey, sugar, oil, mashed yams and orange juice.
- Add the egg mixture and buttermilk alternately to the dry ingredients, stir until well blended.
- Add orange peel to batter mixing well.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, sprinkle lightly with strussel topping and bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.