Recipe by RUTH CARRAWAY
AWHILE BACK I WAS BROWSING IN THE CAMPBELL SOUP AISLE WHEN A CAN OF FRENCH ONION SOUP CAUGHT MY EYE. BEING A FRENCH ONION FAN FROM W..A..Y BACK, I BOUGHT A COUPLE CANS. I WASN'T EXPECTING MUCH FROM THE PRODUCT. THERE WAS NO WAY IT COULD POSSIBLY COMPARE TO FRENCH ONION SOUP PREPARED FROM SCRATCH BY A PROFESSIONAL CHEF. WHEN I GOT HOME I THREW TOGETHER THIS RECIPE AND LET ME TELL YOU...I WAS IN FOR A TASTE EXPERIENCE STRAIGHT FROM HEAVEN! LEAVE OFF PEELING AND SLICING THOSE ONIONS, LADIES. TRY THIS AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.
Top Review by MissingHilda
I ran across this recipe yesterday afternoon; my late wife had an obsession with good French onion soup. The benchmark for "good" was simply within her taste buds; over the years I learned what her preference was, and this was very close. After all, these reviews are nothing more than our tastes and opinions. I've expressed far too many words to reach this conclusion: the result is way too good to be this simple (but Mr. Campbell did a great deal of the work). However, my hat's off to this author's creativity. I look forward to trying another of her dishes soon.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Campbell's French onion soup (DO NOT ADD WATER CALLED FOR ON CAN)
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup pepperidge farm garlic and onion crouton
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1 slice provolone cheese or 1 slice grated provolone cheese, as desired
Directions See How It's Made
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 375 DEGREES F.
- OPEN SOUP CAN, POUR INTO AN OVEN-PROOF INDIVIDUAL SIZE BOWL THAT WILL HOLD ABOUT 1-1/3 CUPS.
- TOP OFF SOUP WITH WATER.
- PLACE IN OVEN, BAKE ABOUT TEN MINUTES TILL SOUP BEGINS TO BUBBLE UP AROUND THE EDGES.
- ADD CROUTONS, BASTING THEM WITH THE HOT SOUP.
- DON'T EXPECT THEM TO SINK TO THE BOTTOM, THAT'S NO PROBLEM.
- RETURN TO OVEN TO BAKE ANOTHER 8 MINUTES OR SO.
- TOP WITH THE SWISS CHEESE, THEN THE PROVOLONE.
- BAKE ANOTHER 8 MINUTES TILL CHEESE HAS MELTED AND BEGINNING TO BROWN.
- REMOVE TO SERVE PIPING HOT-- CAREFUL NOT TO BURN YOURSELF!
- --THE CROUTONS HOLD HEAT LIKE YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE.
- GOBBLE THAT UP AND PREPARE YOURSELF ANOTHER SERVING!