Recipe by Kat's Mom
Everyone should try this southern treat just once! You can make 'em spicy by adding some hot sauce or using garlic pickles. Another recipe found on the www.ilovepickles.com site. Prep time includes refrigeration time.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ice water
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice
- 4 cups dill pickles, sliced 1/4-inch thick and drained or 4 cups dill pickles, whole, drained
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt into large bowl.
- Make a well in center; add water, egg yolk and pickle juice, all at once.
- Stir with wire whisk to make a smooth batter.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Heat at least 2 inches of oil in deep fryer or large saucepan to 375ºF.
- In batches, dip pickle slices in the batter to coat evenly and lightly.
- Fry without crowding in hot oil until golden and crisp, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and serve at once.