1/14 Photos of I Lost My Noodles! Low Carb/South Beach Eggplant Lasagna
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I was looking for a yummy South Beach recipe to curb my Italian Cravings. I found a vegetarian lasagna recipe using eggplant slices as noodles, substituted my own meat sauce, and voila! A low carb keeper in our home! The eggplant taste is indistinguishable with all of the bold italian flavors, and adds the needed texture of the missing noodles. I've also seen zucchini strips used as the mock noodles. Try it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large eggplants, peeled, sliced lengthwise into 1/4 inch noodle-like strips
- cooking spray (olive oil spray is best)
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs ground sirloin or 1 1/2 lbs turkey breast or 1 1/2 lbs Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning (or mix of oregano, basil and thyme)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (if you dare!) (optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup red wine (optional) or 1 cup vodka (optional)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce (or large jar sugar free sauce if you can find it)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (for less sugar, 3 chopped roma tomatoes)
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 2Spray cookie sheet, arrange eggplant slices and season with salt and pepper.
- 3Cook slices 5 minutes on each side.
- 4Lower oven temp to 375.
- 5Brown meat, onion and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes.
- 6Add red pepper and mushrooms, and cook 5 minutes.
- 7Add spinach, tomatoes, spices and wine and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- 8Blend ricotta, egg and onion mixture.
- 9Spread 1/3 of meat sauce in bottom of 9” x 13” glass pan.
- 10Layer ½ eggplant slices, ½ ricotta, 1/3 mozzarella and parmesan.
- 12Add last layer of sauce, then mozzarella and parmesan on top.
- 13Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.
- 14Remove foil and bake or broil another 5-10 minutes until cheese is browned.
- 15Let it rest 10 minutes before slicing, if you can wait that long!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for I Lost My Noodles! Low Carb/South Beach Eggplant Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (651 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.3
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 126.3 mg
- Sodium 811.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 36.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lowfat mozzarella cheese