Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
soft, dense, crunchy, sweet, melt-in-your-mouth. . .
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, soft
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt, scant
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- Heat oven to 365 degrees, fahrenheit.
- Cream together the sugars with the softened butter and shortening.
- Beat in the eggs and extracts.
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the batter.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until mixed, careful not to over mix.
- Let the batter rest 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Scoop heaping soup-spoon sized balls of batter and slightly flatten on a cookie sheet. You should fit 10-12 on a standard size cookie sheet.
- Bake 9-12 minutes. Do not over bake! They will keep cooking when they come out of the oven, because they are so dense. My oven cooks unevenly, so I always rotate the cookie sheets half way through.
- Let rest for 2-3 minutes on the cookie sheet and then cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container (if they last!).