Recipe by mamacancook
Okay, I admit it - I Hate - I mean HATE mayonnaise - but who wants to eat a "dry" tuna sandwich. So I came up with this solution that we now enjoy (My daughter calls it "Tuna toast"). So if you're a mayo hater like me - or ya just want a change - here goes...
Top Review by strawberrypie
Very great idea! I was out of mayo, and I wondered if there was an healthier option than using mayo anyways. Your recipe was delicious! You're also right, adding our own oil (especially olive oil) is better than getting it in the can!
- 6 ounces canned tuna
- 2 -4 slices twelve-grain bread
- butter or margarine
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain tuna.
- Toast 2-4 slices twelve grain bread (2 if you want a BIG sandwich, 4 if you want to share).
- Butter toast.
- Mix tuna with olive oil (I admit - I just pour so measurements are "guesstimated") and 1/2 teaspoon (again - I just give a few shakes) of lemon pepper salt.
- If you like you may make mixture in advance or overnight to allow the flavors to blend (just remember to refrigerate if you make in advance).
- At this point if you like chopped celery or whatever you normally add to your tuna sandwich - go for it -- Hey you can use this as a base idea and go from here - I won't take offense if you "tweak" the recipe.
- (Note: You might be asking, "Why not just buy tuna packed in oil?" - Cuz adding olive oil is healthier and more flavorful and plus YOU determine how much oil goes in).