Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I had bought some very nice broccoli crowns on sale, and then forgot about them. By the time I remembered, they'd started to go brown. Still, waste not, want not. I needed soup, so I cut off all the brown parts, ending up with mostly stalk, a bit of florets. It turned into a very nice soup, we thought.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (optional)
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth or 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 -4 whole black peppercorns (or 1/2 tsp ground black pepper)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups chopped broccoli (stems and florets)
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- salt, to taste
- shredded cheese
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the chopped onion and celery and saute until the onion is transluscent.
- Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir until it's incorporated. (This is optional, but it does give a little body to the soup).
- Add the broth, thyme, turmeric, peppercorns, bay leaf and broccoli pieces.
- Simmer until the broccoli is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend with immersion blender (or blend in batches in blender or food processor.
- Add the milk or cream; taste for seasoning - whether or not you might need more salt depends on how salty your broth is. If necessary, return to burner for a few minutes to heat the milk.
- Serve, garnished with croutons and/or shredded cheese, if desired.
Awesome soup, hun! Made this "spur of the moment" along with Hot-Iron Grilled Cheese Sandwich. What a great dish. I did not use the tumeric... (None in the house, because I don't care for it). It was awesome, and such a great way to use up my head of broccoli that was wilting / browning. I found this recipe in the "TOTM Forum / Clever Shopping", and so happy I did. Loved it, duonyte. Hubby did, as well. Thanks for sharing.