1 hr 30 mins
An Dracon's Note:
Here is a great recipe I created for stuffed zucchini. Aren't I humble. I heard people moaning when they ate this... or maybe that was me moaning. Oh well, everyone took 2 - 3 helpings of this and polished off what I thought was going to be my lunch for the week.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large zucchini
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (12 ounce) package jimmy dean low-fat breakfast sausage
- 1 large onion (large dice)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 24 ounces homemade marinara sauce (if you use canned... sauté a little garlic, parsley, and olive oil and let it simmer for 15 - 20 min)
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 2Do not trim the top or bottom of the zucchini.
- 3Place the whole zucchini in the water and let simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
- 4You just want the zucchini to soften.
- 5Therefore, you will need to take less time if you can't find large zucchini.
- 6Remove the zucchini and let cool.
- 7Once you can handle them without burning yourself cut them in half and scoop out a cavity leaving a good thick wall for support.
- 8Put some olive oil in the bottom of the baking pans, a thin layer of the marinara, then place the zucchini in one layer.
- 9Sauté the onions with olive oil until they become transparent.
- 10Add the crumbled sausage and continue sautéing until the sausage is cooked.
- 11Allow this mixture to cool slightly.
- 12In a food processor take the sausage mixture, zucchini"insides", and cream cheese.
- 13Pulse slightly until you have combined the ingredients into a fairly smooth mixture.
- 14Make sure you don't process too long or it will become baby food.
- 15Place the sausage mixture in the zucchini halves, top with the marinara and mozzarella cheese.
- 16Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 17FYI- You can prepare this up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerate before baking.
- 18You may need to add 5 to 10 minutes to the baking time since the dish is chilled.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for I can't quit moaning zucchini!
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.2
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 37.9 mg
- Sodium 695.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 12.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-fat breakfast sausage