Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 min
Cook 3 mins
My dad showed me this technique for making oatmeal in the microwave. I never microwaved oatmeal because it always boiled over and never tasted as good. And instant oatmeal is truly awful. This recipe is quick and simple, and gives a great-textured, chewy oatmeal. Plus, there are no dishes other than your bowl and spoon!
- Pour desired amount of oatmeal into cereal bowl. (I suggested 1/2 cup, but any amount is fine. However, if you use much more than this, you will probably want to use a larger bowl so the oatmeal doesn't boil over before it is fully done).
- Add enough water to just cover the oatmeal. (1/2 cup water if you are using 1/2 cup of oatmeal).
- Microwave on high for about 2 minutes. (The actual time will vary depending on the microwave. I let it go until a volcano forms. I turn the microwave off just before the volcano erupts over the side of the bowl. I then let it sit in the microwave for about a minute, but it's not necessary.).
- Sprinkle a dash of cinnamon on top.
- Add sugar and milk/cream to the desired consistency and flavor.
Perfect! I had bought some old fashioned oats for the increased nutritional value over quick oats. I had no idea how to prepare them without cooking them on the stove top for 10 minutes. This recipe fixed that! 2 minutes to perfection! Thank you for posting this!