Recipe by piranhabriana
I have been lactose intolerant for 8 years now and my 2-year old is as well. Green bean casserole is one of those things I get a real craving for every now and then and haven't been able to eat for so long. Thanks to Miraklegirl here on Recipezaar and some modifications I made to her cream of mushroom soup substiture I have been able to create a traditional green bean casserole that I would dare say you would not be able to tell the difference from a "real" dairy-filled one. And one more bonus, my 2 year old loves it too!
Top Review by nethope
I left out the margarine (got my onions softer in the microwave), flour, and most of the soymilk; I used frozen green beans instead of canned; I added a diced red bell pepper to the green beans for visual interest, and I added dressing mix to the mushroom mixture for an extra kick of flavor.
Yum, yum, yum!
The mushroom mixture didn't resemble cream of mushroom soup since I left out the soymilk, but that was to our advantage so that the fussy children could easily pick out just the green beans to eat while the rest of us mixed everything together. This was sooo tasty! Not as traditional as the soupy kind, but the same flavors only better!
- 118.32 ml soy margarine, separated
- 118.29 ml finely chopped mushroom
- 14.79 ml minced garlic
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 88.74 ml flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 414.03 ml plain soymilk, heated
- 59.14 ml plain soymilk, cold
- 3 (1233.20 g) can French style green beans
- 113.39 g French-fried onions
- 2.46 ml garlic salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 Tbsp margarine. Add mushrooms and garlic and saute till the mushrooms change color (about 1 minute). Pour the mixture out into a bowl and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 6 Tbsp margarine. Add flour gradually and whisk into butter. Add mushroom mixture back in, along with onion powder, salt, pepper, and gradually add hot soy milk. Cook for another 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Pour this mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish. Add the cold soy milk, salt, pepper, and 1 cup of the onions. Drain 2 of the 3 cans of green beans before adding. Add the third can with its juices. Pour the remaining onions on top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.