I have been lactose intolerant for 8 years now and my 2-year old is as well. Green bean casserole is one of those things I get a real craving for every now and then and haven't been able to eat for so long. Thanks to Miraklegirl here on Recipezaar and some modifications I made to her cream of mushroom soup substiture I have been able to create a traditional green bean casserole that I would dare say you would not be able to tell the difference from a "real" dairy-filled one. And one more bonus, my 2 year old loves it too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 tablespoons soy margarine, separated
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mushroom
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3/4 cups plain soymilk, heated
- 1/4 cup plain soymilk, cold
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans French style green beans
- 1 (4 ounce) French-fried onions
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1In a small saucepan, melt 2 Tbsp margarine. Add mushrooms and garlic and saute till the mushrooms change color (about 1 minute). Pour the mixture out into a bowl and set aside.
- 2Melt the remaining 6 Tbsp margarine. Add flour gradually and whisk into butter. Add mushroom mixture back in, along with onion powder, salt, pepper, and gradually add hot soy milk. Cook for another 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- 3Pour this mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish. Add the cold soy milk, salt, pepper, and 1 cup of the onions. Drain 2 of the 3 cans of green beans before adding. Add the third can with its juices. Pour the remaining onions on top.
- 4Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for I Can't Believe There's No Dairy in This Green Bean Casserole!
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.8
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 833.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: