Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Dulse sea veggies make an excellent substitute for anchovies in this healthy take on the original Caesar salad. This is inspired by a recipe from Vegetarian Meals for People-on-the-Go by Vimala Rodgers. She called for crumbled nori, but I think the dulse has a much richer, more anchovy-like flavor. You can find dulse at most health food stores or Asian markets. Serves four as an appetizer or one as a meal. You can top with a grilled tofu fillet and serve with good bread or soup.
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1⁄3 cup dulse seaweed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 cup garlic-flavored croutons
- fresh ground black pepper
- vegan parmesan cheese (optional) or additional nutritional yeast (optional)
- Wash the lettuce. Dry well (use a salad spinner if you have one). Tear into bite-size pieces and place in a salad bowl.
- Chop dulse and garlic into small pieces in blender or food processor. Add olive oil, Worcestershire, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth. Add more liquid if necessary and blend again.
- Pour dressing over salad greens. Top with croutons and black pepper and vegan parmesan or additional nutritional yeast.