Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These were so go, it surprised even me.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 3 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon oregano or 1 teaspoon basil (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage (optional)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Shape into one-inch balls.
- Cover and refrigerate or freeze until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake until light brown (about 10 to 15 minutes).
I found this a very good recipe. Easy and nutritionally good if a bit bland. I used fresh basil 3X the amount in the recipe as it didn't specify dried or fresh. Next time (and there will be some) I think I will add a bit of grated Parmesan cheese to the mix. Just a bit so it wont overpower.
I liked these - great flavor! But they seemed more like "breadballs" to me. I guess the name, "I can't believe it's spinach" is accurate, as I could hardly taste the spinach, but was looking forward to tasting it at least a little... I added some fresh basil, and that added great "umph" to the taste factor.
Very nice way to get your greens. I will cut the spinach down by half a box and use a bit less oregano next time. I baked some as balls but then tried putting the mixture in mini muffin cups, which worked well too. Thanks for another spinach treat for my repetoire!