Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A healthy, gluten-free cake flour mix. Substitute it for regular flour cup-for-cup in cake recipes and other baked goods (but not bread, which needs a different mixture). The ingredients are easily purchased online or in most healthfood stores.
- 709.77 ml brown rice flour (fine ground)
- 236.59 ml potato starch (not potato flour)
- 118.29 ml tapioca flour
- 6.16 ml guar gum or 6.16 ml xanthan gum
- Sift ingredients together, combining thoroughly. Use in place of flour in cakes and other baked goods.
- Store in airtight container or ziploc bag in refrigerator.
Excellent mix! I use this mix for all of my baking, but I substitute the brown rice flour with white rice flour. I find that the baking is less grainy and lighter with the white rice flour. Most of my gluten eating family were pleasantly surprised by how "normal" the food tastes with this mix! Thanks for the recipe :)
The brown rice was too heavy for the white birthday cake recipe we used. Only the experienced gluten free people that generally avoid sugar liked the cake. I'm sure it would be great for snack cakes, chocolate etc just not anything you want to be light and airy.
No offense to the author, but this recipe yields unacceptable results when used as a cake flour replacement in nearly all of my pastry recipes. Even with white rice flour, the product is grainy, and the crumb inconsistent.