Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
My old friend Pat gave me this recipe 20 years ago and I really love these easy puffs....a little too much, as my waistline attests!
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 (5 1/8 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding (large-size box)
- 1 (5 1/4 ounce) package whipped dessert topping mix, Dream Whip brand (2 envelopes)
- Heat water and butter to rolling boil.
- Stir in flour, stirring vigorously over low heat about 1 minute, or until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat.
- Beat in eggs all at one time and continue beating until smooth. Drop dough by scant 1/4 cupfuls about 3" apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 35 to 40 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Cool out of draft.
- Cut in half horizontally, open, and remove any uncooked filaments of dough (if desired, but not necessary).
- Make Dream Whip according to package directions. Make pudding with only half the milk it calls for. Quickly add the pudding to the Dream Whip and mix well.
- Fill cream puffs, sprinkle with a little powdered sugar and refrigerate until serving -- if you don't eat them first!
loved it! very easy to make. i did substitute the cream for cool whip and whip cream, it was very good. my husband(who is a very picky person) loved these. thank you for the recipe
They turned out great! I was about a quarter of the half cup of butter short, so I used canola oil and instead of the vanilla pudding, I used lowfat, sugar-free chocolate pudding and everyone loved it!
Made these this afternoon, and filled them both with the recipe filling and with fresh strawberries and whipped cream....wonderful! Thanks for sharing my dear!