Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
These are great biscuits that suit my wife's elimination diet (no wheat, yeast, egg, or dairy). It is adapted from the recipe on the back of "1-2-3 Gluten Free Southern Glory Biscuit Mix". I use lime juice and almond milk to make a non-dairy buttermilk alternative. They need to cook longer than the recipe on the biscuit mix box, probably because almond milk is thicker than other dairy-milk-alternatives, and so more liquid is required to make the dough.
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2⁄3 cup almond milk (vanilla flavor)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 cup gluten-free baking mix
- 4 teaspoons Earth Balance whipped spread
- Mix lime juice and almond milk. Let sit for 25 minutes.
- Put the biscuit mix and buttery spread in a food processor. Pulse until evenly mixed.
- Add the almond milk mixture to the food processor gradually, while continuing to pulse.
- If the dough seems too thick, add up to 1/3 cup of water, while continuing to pulse.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a rubber spatula, scoop the dough out of the food processor and form it into balls about 2" wide. Put them on the baking sheet.
- Cover the baking sheet, and put it in the refrigerator for 1 hour. This helps the biscuits to rise nicely when they are cooked.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake the biscuits for 30 minutes, or until the tops begin to turn golden.
- Turn off the oven and let them sit inside for another 15 minutes. This helps the insides cook thoroughly.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.