Prep 48 hrs
Cook 35 mins
This recipe originally was given to me by a friend, Jan Wrong, from Uxbridge,Ontario, in 1971.These pickles are sweet in flavour, not unlike "Bicks".They do need to have the color added.
- 7 lbs cucumbers, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 cups hydrated pickling lime
- 2 gallons cold water
- 5 lbs sugar
- 3 pints white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- Mix pickle ingredients together.
- Soak for 24 hours.
- Wash in clean running water (about 10 minutes).
- Let set in clean ice water for 4 hours.
- Syrup:Mix ingredients for syrup.
- Bring to a boil and pour over pickles.
- Let stand overnight.
- Next day, bring all to a boil and simmer 30-35 minutes.
- Add green food color and put in jars and seal.
- Not required to do the boiling water bath method.