Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A wonderful recipe submitted by Syeda Basarath to this week's Thursday magazine. Totally delicious and a must have for mango lovers!
- 250 g yellow lentils, cleaned,washed and drained (Toovar dal)
- 2 raw mangoes, peeled,de-seeded and chopped
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 -5 fresh curry leaves
- 100 g fresh coriander leaves
- 2 pinches turmeric powder
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 5 green chilies
- Put the first three ingredients in a pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook for upto 2-3 whistles.
- Remove from flame and let out the steam.
- Mix the cooked lentils with water using a wooden spoon.
- Boil the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- Allow to splutter.
- Once they stop spluttering, add curry leaves.
- Stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add garlic and stir-fry until the raw smell is gone.
- Mix in the red chilli and turmeric powders and the corriander leaves.
- Fry till it turns slightly brown.
- Pour over the boiled lentils.
- Serve hot over cooked white rice.
- Enjoy a hearty lunch!
Excellent for people who like khatti food. Went very well with plain steamed rice and pepper papad.
love to try more hydrebadi foods. could u please send me more of hydrebadi foods like curries and rice recipes. thanks