Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is from this week's Thursday magazine. It was submitted by Humera Majeed.
- 5 medium brinjal
- 1 cup dried coconut, grated
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1⁄2 cup cumin seed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander seed
- 3 medium onions
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 cups tamarind paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 5 dried red chilies
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 5 -10 curry leaves
- 1⁄2 cup oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast the coconut, sesame seeds, peanuts, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and chopped onions separately for at least 5 minutes.
- Grind them separately and collect in a bowl.
- Add 1 cup of tamarind paste, ginger-garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Mix well.
- Slice the brinjals and stuff the above paste in them.
- Heat 1/2 cup of oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds, dried red chili, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stuffed brinjals and the remaining paste to the oil.
- Stir till the brinjal is half fried.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of tamarind paste.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes on low flame.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rotis.