Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This traditional Dutch recipe is definitely a meal. We love it. The prep time does not include the chill time.
- 1⁄4 lb chopped cooked cold left over meat (ham, roast beef, chicken, etc.)
- 2 cooked beets, chopped (fresh or canned)
- 8 medium cooked potatoes, chopped (preferably less starchy white potatoes, not Russets)
- 1 tart apple, chopped
- 6 pickled pearl onions or 4 fresh green onions, chopped
- 1 pickle, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice
- 1 cup mayonnaise or 1 cup salad dressing
- 1 dash maggi seasoning (or Kitchen Bouquet seasoning, or soy or Worcestershire)
- salt and pepper
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours for best flavor.
- Spread on a platter lined with lettuce leaves and smooth the top.
- Decorate top and sides with dollops of mayonnaise, sliced hard boiled egg, sliced tomato, parsley and a dusting of paprika.
- Serve with your favorite bread.
I was born in Holland and have been looking for this recipe, is just like i remembered it my parents made it for new years eve it was a very special dish I'm so happy I found it made it the same day. only thing different my dad fried the leftover beef pieces in butter until they where crisp. it was the best thing you could eat . thank you so much for shearing this.
I made 1//2 the recipe b/c I'm alone and the whole thing would be too much. I used canned beets, more convenient for me. I was a bit sceptical about the beets, but it really turned out very nicely. They gave a different texture and taste to the whole thing, and I like it! Didn't have pickled onions so used green onions. Lee