Recipe by itszspot
Dutch potato salad, made with beets and leftover meat, this delicious cold salad looks wonderful garnished with sliced egg on a bed of lettuce. Perfect for a cool summer supper, my mother often made this family favorite. This recipe is a taste as you go recipe and is as much fun to make as to eat!
Top Review by beckoned
My partner is Dutch and when we were over at his parents house for dinner, this was on the table, minus the beets as I don't like them. I was incredibly skeptical at first, but being an absolute potato fiend, I tried it and LOVED it! I will definitely be making it myself now that I've found a recipe for it!
- 10 potatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans beets
- 2 cups leftover cooked beef or 2 cups cooked chicken
- 12 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) jar sweet gherkins
- 1 (16 ounce) jar cocktail onions
- 1 (16 ounce) jar dill pickles or 1 (16 ounce) jar gherkins
- lettuce leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- peel, cook and mash potatoes.
- drain beets and mash thoroughly and add to the potatoes.
- dice the meat
- dice 6 of the hard boiled eggs
- dice about 1/2 of the sweet gherkins, cocktail onions, and dill pickles
- add diced meat into the mashed potato mix.
- add diced gherkins, cocktail onions, and dill pickles to taste.
- add mayonnaise to taste, at least 2 tablespoons to start.
- fold in diced eggs.
- shape into mound on top of bed of lettuce leaves.
- cover mound with a thin layer of mayonnaise.
- slice remaining eggs and distribute evenly on the mound.
- chill and enjoy.