Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Dutch potato salad, made with beets and leftover meat, this delicious cold salad looks wonderful garnished with sliced egg on a bed of lettuce. Perfect for a cool summer supper, my mother often made this family favorite. This recipe is a taste as you go recipe and is as much fun to make as to eat!
- 10 potatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans beets
- 2 cups leftover cooked beef or 2 cups cooked chicken
- 12 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) jar sweet gherkins
- 1 (16 ounce) jar cocktail onions
- 1 (16 ounce) jar dill pickles or 1 (16 ounce) jar gherkins
- lettuce leaf
- peel, cook and mash potatoes.
- drain beets and mash thoroughly and add to the potatoes.
- dice the meat
- dice 6 of the hard boiled eggs
- dice about 1/2 of the sweet gherkins, cocktail onions, and dill pickles
- add diced meat into the mashed potato mix.
- add diced gherkins, cocktail onions, and dill pickles to taste.
- add mayonnaise to taste, at least 2 tablespoons to start.
- fold in diced eggs.
- shape into mound on top of bed of lettuce leaves.
- cover mound with a thin layer of mayonnaise.
- slice remaining eggs and distribute evenly on the mound.
- chill and enjoy.
My partner is Dutch and when we were over at his parents house for dinner, this was on the table, minus the beets as I don't like them. I was incredibly skeptical at first, but being an absolute potato fiend, I tried it and LOVED it! I will definitely be making it myself now that I've found a recipe for it!