Prep 10 mins
Cook 13 mins
This is an extremely easy Dutch recipe that the whole family loves for a weeknight meal. It's another recipe where you can get creative and add more ingredients to your family's taste and you can also make it dairy-free for those with milk allergies. If you want this rich and creamy, add butter and cream when mashing the potato and carrot mixture. If you want it light (or dairy free) just use some of the hot water from boiling the vegetables or use dairy-free "milk" and Fleischmann's unsalted margarine. NOTE: all measurements are approximate! Have fun and treat the family to colorful mashed potatoes--Perfect for Halloween or any night!
- Place the carrots in the bottom of a 3 quart pan with about 2 cups of water and put on high to boil.
- Let cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and onion.
- Put the sausage on top. (It will give the veggies some great flavor!).
- Cover. Let cook over medium heat for about 10 min until the vegetables are tender and easy to mash.
- Remove the sausage to a plate to keep warm.
- Drain the vegetables, reserving at least 1/2 c of the water if you prefer to use water to cream or milk.
- Put through a potato ricer or use a potato masher to mash all the vegetables together. Use the back of a spoon to smoosh it all together with the remaining ingredients. You CAN use a mixer for this, but you risk the vegetables becoming gummy if you over-mix. Go for power at your own risk!
- Season to taste. Serve with a salad and dinner is ready!
SO simple, relatively healthy, and SO DELISH. This is one of my favorite meals to make. I need to buy sausage so I can make it again soon....