Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Wonderful Dutch winter dish with a slight deviation from the traditional.. we substitute rutabaga for half the carrots, this makes for a slightly sweeter version.
- 1⁄2 lb onion
- 1⁄2 lb celery
- 2 lbs carrots
- 2 lbs rutabagas
- 4 lbs potatoes
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 lb bacon (spek)
- 2 lbs smoked pork sausage, 1 sausage per person (rookworst)
- Dice onions, celery and carrots. Peel and quarter potatoes. Peel and cut rutabaga into strips resembling french fries.
- Place all veggies into a large pot with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then simmer covered for 20-25 minutes til fork tender. Place rookworst on top of veggies in the last 5 mins of cooking, keep an eye on them so the casings dont split.
- While veggies are cooking, fry cubed spek til not quite crisp.
- Remove rookworst and spek to a warmed dish and cover.
- Drain veggies thoroughly. Add salt, bacon fat and sour cream. Mash to desired consistency. (We prefer ours a little bit lumpy).
- Serve hot with plain yellow mustard on the side.