Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
The Dutch answer to mashed potatoes.
Make and share this Hutspot recipe from Food.com.
- Dice& boil onions and carrots 20 minutes.
- Boil peeled and quartered potatoes 20-25 minutes, til tender.
- Drain and dry thoroughly.
- Add onions and carrots mash well.
- Add salt, pepper, butter and milk.
- Warm all together and serve hot.
we put a bit of a twist on this recipe.. use 2 pounds potato, 1 pound carrot, 1 pound rutabaga, and 1/2 pound each of onion and celery.. place all veggies in a large pot with 2 cups water, cook til tender, drain and mash with 2 cups sour cream.. serve with rookworst and spek (that's dutch for bacon) and plain yellow mustard
I make this a lot, but instead of boiling the onions with the carrots I sautee the onions and then pour the mixture in with the boiled potatoes and carrots. Try it!
It was nice to learn about a cuisine that I'm unfamiliar with. Also it's great that you get a starch and a vegetable in one dish. It was very nice although the onions were a bit much for me, but that could be my personal taste. Thank you.