Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is great when you have a half a loaf of stale sourdough bread.
Make and share this Hush-Puppy Style Clam Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups sourdough breadcrumbs, made from stale sourdough loaf, unseasoned (about 1/2 loaf)
- 1⁄2 jalapeno
- 3 garlic cloves, whole
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried garlic
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 cup cornbread mix (Marie Callendars)
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup clam juice
- 1 cup milk (divided)
- 2 cups clams, chopped, drained
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- cooking oil (for frying)
- Put sourdough and all spices, jalapeno, garlic cloves and shallot into food processor with chopping blade and run until break is broken down into crumbs.
- Remove to mixing bowl and add cornbread mix and mix inches Add clam juice, eggs and 1/2 cup milk. Mix until forms batter. Fold in clams.
- Mix in panko crumbs to thicken the batter to a dough like consistency. If needed, add additional milk from remaining 1/2 cup.
- Heat oil in a deep sided skillet to 375.
- spoon out tablespoon sized ball of dough (approx 1" diameter), pat flat and place in pan. Cook approximately 2-3 minutes each side or until golden brown.