Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
For years I have been looking for a good baked Hush Puppy recipe to satisfy the craving for them in a healthier way and I have finally found it! I made these and they were a definate hit! I made them using mini-muffin tins to make them more crusty, just like a regular hush puppy, and I got 18 mini muffins out of it. Hope you like them as much as we did!
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or you can use a mini muffin pan.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg whites, onion, milk, parsley, oil and pepper.
- Add to dry ingredients stirring just until moistened.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove and cool on a rack for 5 minutes. Serve immediatlely.
Exactly what I was looking for! Since I have Celiacs, I substituted 1 cup Pamela's gluten-free Cornbread & Muffin Mix in place of the first 4 ingredients. (It turned out great!) I also used one whole egg instead of 2 egg whites, because I was too lazy to separate the eggs. I used a mini muffin tin, and scooped the dough in with a mini ice cream scoop so they would be nicely rounded and uniform in size. Then I sprayed the tops with cooking spray so they wouldn't dry out. The cooking time was perfect, and they turned out so delicious. Thanks for this recipe.
These are SO good! I used the yellow cornmeal and in place of the 2 egg whites used a quarter cup of egg beater. These are so simple to put together and the taste is wonderful! I too did as you suggested and put them in the mini muffin pans with a shot of Pam and loved how they got crusty! Thanks for sharing this keeper :)