Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From The Great American Chicken Cookbook, c. 1982.
Make and share this Hush-Puppy Fried Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (2 -3 lb) fryer chickens, cut up into portion-sized pieces
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups hush puppy mix with onion
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Mix the flour and cornmeal together in a paper sack. Place each piece of chicken in the sack and shake thoroughly to coat completely.
- Mix the salt, pepper and buttermilk together. Place the hush-puppy mix in another paper sack. Dip each piece of chicken in the seasoned buttermilk and then drop it into the hush-puppy mix and shake to coat thoroughly.
- Heat vegetable oil to 350*F, and drop each piece of cooked chicken into it. Fry until a rich golden brown. Place in a flat baking dish and place in a 325* oven for an additional 30 minutes. Serve at once, piping hot.
- NOTE: If you cannot obtain hush-puppy prepared mix in your store, substitute the following: 2 cups white corn meal, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 4 tablespoons butter. Work all together until it is a fine consistency and then use as the breading mixture as specified in the above recipe. Hush-Puppy prepared mix is a timesaving shortcut.