Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
I posted this recipe in reply to a request for Cooked Hush Puppies. Cook time is for each batch.
- 1 3⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups water, boiling
- 1 cup salad oil
- Combine dry ingredients, onion, and egg.
- add boiling water, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Drop by spoonfuls into deep, hot oil.
- Cook until golden brown.
These were aweful, when you dropped them down in the hot grease they stuck to the bottom of the pan (not enough flour or corn meal to hold them together) They made a huge mess, when I finally got one to stay together it was so bland it was gross. So I started over, and added more four and corn meal, garlic power, onion powder, salt and pepper. Then they were good LOL... Before you do this one I would add 1/2 cup more flour and 1/2 cup more corn meal, then add spices because they are bland the way they are.
This is an excellent hush puppy. I love the onion flavor, and it is not real bready like a muffin. This is the only way to eat hush puppies.