Recipe by Darlene Summers
My favorite addition to fish and fried taters. They are simple to make and not time consuming.
Top Review by Snipet
I thought this recipe would taste like a local restaurant's hushpuppies, so I tried it with a few small changes. I know how sweet jiffy mixes are, so I used 1 jiffy mix and added 1 cup self rising yellow cornmeal in place of the 2nd jiffy mix. I also added 1/2 cup buttermilk as the ingredients were very dry. I left the eggs and onions the same. The result was perfect! Just a hint of sweetness and perfect crispy outside and light inside. DELICIOUS!
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) packages Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, chopped fine
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Measure out 2 1/4 cups of the mix (keep leftover mix for later use).
- Combine the mix with eggs and onion, mixing well.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into hot oil (370°). Turn when golden brown and fry on other side till golden.
- Remove with slotted utensil and drain on paper towels.