Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 mins
My favorite addition to fish and fried taters. They are simple to make and not time consuming.
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) packages Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, chopped fine
- oil (for frying)
- Measure out 2 1/4 cups of the mix (keep leftover mix for later use).
- Combine the mix with eggs and onion, mixing well.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into hot oil (370°). Turn when golden brown and fry on other side till golden.
- Remove with slotted utensil and drain on paper towels.
I thought this recipe would taste like a local restaurant's hushpuppies, so I tried it with a few small changes. I know how sweet jiffy mixes are, so I used 1 jiffy mix and added 1 cup self rising yellow cornmeal in place of the 2nd jiffy mix. I also added 1/2 cup buttermilk as the ingredients were very dry. I left the eggs and onions the same. The result was perfect! Just a hint of sweetness and perfect crispy outside and light inside. DELICIOUS!
Great recipe! Made with cornbread mix instead, do not believe in "sweet" hush puppies.
This takes the work out of making hush puppies! It is the perfect recipe for folks who prefer the sweet hush puppy. I used 1 package Jiffy and one egg to reduce the amount of hush puppies for 3 of us. I left the 1/4 cup of onions and added 1/4 cup chopped green pepper. They were WONDERFUL! Thanks for a quite easy and inexpensive recipe! The jiffy mix is about 33 cents per box!