1/1 Photo of Hush Puppies from the Loveless Cafe
Mama Schmid's Note:
I haven't tried these yet. The chef from the Loveless Cafe was on the Martha Stewart show and made these. They looked too good to pass up.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- 2Stir in onions.
- 3Combine egg yolk and buttermilk; stir into cornmeal mixture until combined.
- 4In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff. Gently fold into cornmeal mixture.
- 5Fill a large deep skillet with 2 to 3 inches oil. Heat oil until it reaches 375° on a deep-fry thermometer.
- 6Working in batches, drop batter, 1 teaspoon at a time, into the oil and cook, turning once, until the hush puppies rise to the surface and are golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 7Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- 8Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Taste/Mood Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hush Puppies from the Loveless Cafe
Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 205.9
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 32.3 mg
- Sodium 772.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 9.1 g