Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I haven't tried these yet. The chef from the Loveless Cafe was on the Martha Stewart show and made these. They looked too good to pass up.
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 cup grated onion
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 large egg whites
- canola oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in onions.
- Combine egg yolk and buttermilk; stir into cornmeal mixture until combined.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff. Gently fold into cornmeal mixture.
- Fill a large deep skillet with 2 to 3 inches oil. Heat oil until it reaches 375° on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Working in batches, drop batter, 1 teaspoon at a time, into the oil and cook, turning once, until the hush puppies rise to the surface and are golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Serve immediately.
I can't really give a good appraisal of these because both of my onions had gone bad! I know this would have added moisture to the end product. As it was, the beaten egg whites gave these a nice, light, airy texture. They weren't the dense little things I've eaten before. So if you prefer light and airy, I think this is that recipe.
These were DELICIOUS! They could have used a touch more salt but they were very, very good!