Recipe by Nita Holleman
Very good to serve with soup, seafoods. Delicious! Tasty. Moist but not greasy! Enjoy!
Top Review by Jalyn
I enjoyed the recipe. Simple o make, and clean uo a breeze. As my family have always preferred the hush puppies to be a bit sweeter, we added another spoon of sugar, otherwise, perfection Nita! Thank you very much! Lynn~
- 2 cups white cornmeal, preferably white lily or martha white, both self rising
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 3⁄4 cup hot water, boiling
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup peeled and chopped vidalia onions or 1⁄4 cup other sweet onion
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, not low fat
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat peanut oil in deep fryer to 325 Degrees F, or until a drop of water sizzles when added to it.
- Combine meal, flour, salt.
- Add HOT water.
- Stir in well.
- Stir in buttermilk.
- Add beaten egg.
- Add and stir in peeled and chopped onion.
- Finally, add baking soda, mixing all well.
- Drop by teaspoons into hot oil.
- Do NOT overcrowd fryer.
- Cook until golden brown
- Drain well on a rack or UNcoated paper plate or paper towels.
- Serve hot!