Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very good to serve with soup, seafoods. Delicious! Tasty. Moist but not greasy! Enjoy!
Make and share this Hush Puppies ala Nita recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups white cornmeal, preferably white lily or martha white, both self rising
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 3⁄4 cup hot water, boiling
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup peeled and chopped vidalia onions or 1⁄4 cup other sweet onion
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, not low fat
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat peanut oil in deep fryer to 325 Degrees F, or until a drop of water sizzles when added to it.
- Combine meal, flour, salt.
- Add HOT water.
- Stir in well.
- Stir in buttermilk.
- Add beaten egg.
- Add and stir in peeled and chopped onion.
- Finally, add baking soda, mixing all well.
- Drop by teaspoons into hot oil.
- Do NOT overcrowd fryer.
- Cook until golden brown
- Drain well on a rack or UNcoated paper plate or paper towels.
- Serve hot!
I enjoyed the recipe. Simple o make, and clean uo a breeze. As my family have always preferred the hush puppies to be a bit sweeter, we added another spoon of sugar, otherwise, perfection Nita! Thank you very much! Lynn~