Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 mins
Increase the cayenne for more heat and add in some garlic powder if desired.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste) or 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- oil (for frying)
- Prepare a deep fat fryer or a skillet.
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl; stir until batter is well mixed, and thick.
- Let the batter rest on the counter or in the fridge, for 30-40 minutes.
- Heat the oil to 375F in the skillet.
- Remove from the fridge; mix lightly with a spoon.
- With a tablespoon, drop batter into hot oil; fry until golden brown.
- Remove from the fat/oil, and drain the Hush Puppies on paper towels (use several layers of paper towels).
- Serve hot or warm-- delicious!
Super good and super easy, though I think they could've used a tad more salt. My favorite thing is they turn over on their own in the oil...Yes, I am easily amused. Thanks Kitten!