Recipe by Margie Brock
Light golden balls of cornmeal teaming with lots and lots of flavor. Served in the south with fried fish and/or soups or salads
Top Review by renaimes
This recipe is great but I made two versions of this, one with the pepper and hot sauce and one without. The ones without the hot sauce and pepper tasted more like Southern puppies and tasted better.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) bottle louisiana hot sauce (NOT TABASCO)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix meal, flour, egg, and milk.
- This should be thick.
- Add onion and bell pepper. Mix well.
- Then add jalapeño and hot sauce.
- Refrigerate until thicker.
- Drop by spoonfuls off into the hot oil and fry until brown.
- Very light and fluffy.
- A hush puppy should not be packy.
- This sounds hot but the frying makes the jalapeño sweet and the hot sauce only adds flavor.
- Salt lightly after taking out of oil onto paper towels.
- This is my own recipe.