Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are very easy to put together and are very delicious with fish!
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 1⁄3 cup plain cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- Sift first 5 ingredients. When ready to fry, mix in the last 3 ingredients.
- Drop by teaspoon into deep fat heated to 325°F
- Fry hush puppies on all sides until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- If serving with fish, fry in oil used for fish.
These were just outrageously good! I made them with catfish for a great Southern-style supper. I wouldn't change a thing about this recipe. The texture was lightly crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside, just perfect. It's true that you can't keep them, though...by the next day they had lost their charm. Eat them up right away!