Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
In the south, pups are usually served with fish or seafood.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- vegetable oil
- Combine corn meal, flour, baking powder and salt.
- ADD milk, egg and onion; mix well.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into deep hot oil (375°) in a 2-quart saucepan.
- Fry only a few at a time until golden brown.
- Turn once with slotted spoon for best browning.
- Remove from oil and drain on several layers of paper towels.
- NOTE: proper oil temperature is important for best results.
- If oil temperature is too low, pups will be greasy.
- If too hot, pups will brown too quickly and will remain uncooked in the center.
These were pretty good. My husband especially liked them.
the pups came out way to dense, and were rather bland