Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
These go great with fried green tomatoes and fish.
- 6 cups peanut oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Using a deep pot, preheat oil for frying to 350°F.
- Using a mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the onion. In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk and egg.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Drop the batter, 1 teaspoon at a time, into the oil.
- Dip the spoon in a glass of water after each hush puppy is dropped in the oil.
- Fry until golden brown, turning the hush puppies during the cooking process.
I had posted Paula Deens hush puppies and just got a zmail that said they were deleting it because it was a duplicate to this one! Anyway, it's my favorite hush puppy recipe and I don't want to lose it, so I thought I'd better come review yours!! We have a family fish fry every year and after trying many recipes this one is the very best!! Thanks for posting!