Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
No barbecue or fish fry is complete without these delectible morsels of fried cornbread. This tried and true recipe is from Southern Living magazine.
- 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1⁄2 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- vegetable oil
- Combine first four ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add egg and milk to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 345*.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into hot oil and fry, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes on each side or till golden brown all over.
- Drain on wire rack over paper towels. Serve immediately.
- SUBSTITUTE beer for milk if you want lighter, tangier hushpuppies.
- FOR JALAPENO hushpuppies, add one seeded, diced jalapeno to batter. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- NOTE: Keep fried hushpuppies warm in oven at 225* for up to 15 minutes.
So good! Used recipe #60322 for the self raising cornmeal.
Very nice - will make them often - this was my first try at hush puppies and my family loved them
I made these last night to go with some fish I decided to fry up, and having never made hush-puppies before I was very happy with these. They were not so heavy, like I thought they might be as I have encountered some that were downright dangerous. LOL Thank you Fauve, and congrats on the win! :)