1/1 Photo of Hush - Hush Kid Friendly Lasagna
2 hrs 20 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I made this vegetarian lasagna for my sister when she came home from school declaring her newfound love for the dish. I knew she didn't like "chunks" in her pasta, nor does she eat many veggies in general, so I used the "sneaky" technique of pureeing zucchini, red pepper, carrot and onion into a smooth tomato sauce instead. "Smart" white whole wheat noodles and low-fat cheeses (including the dregs of a bottle of vegan parmesan) round out the rest of the layers. Makes 6 individual dishes or 1 9x5 lof pan and 2 individual casserole dishes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 large sweet onion
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large carrot
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vegan parmesan cheese (or low-fat regular parmesan cheese)
- 1 pinch dried basil
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup 1% low fat cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 8 white whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked, drained and cut into thirds
- 150 g lowfat mozzarella cheese
- 1In a food processor, finely grate the onion, zucchini, pepper and carrot.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add the shredded vegetables.
- 3Cook, stirring often, for 5-6 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- 4Pour in the tomato sauce and water, then add the ketchup, parmesan, basil and salt.
- 5Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes. The vegetables should be extremely soft.
- 6Transfer mixture to the food processor (no need to clean), add the lemon juice, and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- 7In a bowl beat together the cottage cheese and the egg until well combined.
- 8Preheat the oven to 375F and grease 6 individual casseroles.
- 9Place layers of sauce, noodles, cottage cheese, sauce, mozzarella, noodles, sauce, etc in each vessel, finishing with a sprinkle of mozzarella.
- 10Place vessels on a baking sheet and cover with foil.
- 11Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake a further 10-15 minutes, until browned and bubbly.
- 12Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hush - Hush Kid Friendly Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 269.6
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 50.7 mg
- Sodium 753.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 17.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegan parmesan cheese