Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
There's already a recipe here with the same name, but this one serves more and the ingredients are a little different. Very good! Prep time is approximate. Cook time includes browning the beef.
- 24 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package wide egg noodles, cooked as directed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Brown ground beef, bell peppers, and garlic together and drain.
- Cook noodles as directed then drain.
- Add noodles, sugar, and tomato sauce to ground beef and stir.
- Combine sour cream, cottage cheese, cream cheese, and chopped onion.
- Put into a 3-quart casserole dish a layer of noodles and meat, then a layer of cheese mixture.
- Add the last of meat and noodle mixture.
- Last of all add grated cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
This was pretty good. My only complaint is that the sour cream/cream cheese taste is a little overpowering. I'm either going to try reducing the amt next time or mixing everything together instead of separating the layers. I used all low-fat ingredients and ground turkey, to lighten it up a bit. Overall, a very good recipe.
I have been making a variation of this recipe for years. I have never added sugar and it turned out just fine. Instead of using onion, I use green onion and add it instead to the cream cheese mixture allowing the flavors to blend well. I also add the noodles to the cream cheese mixture instead and top it with the hamburger mixture and then cheddar cheese for the top. Easy to make. Turns out really well.