Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Excellent in a hurry cake, we like the spice variation with the orange icing best. Easy! Make it with your eyes closed.
- 1 3⁄4 cups cake flour (I always use all purpose)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Frosting choices: Sift icing sugar over or chocolate butter icing or lemon/orange butter icing.
- Simple butter icing- icing sugar, butter, cocoa, tiny bit of milk, for chocolate, just measure amounts that look right and whip them all together.
- Lemon or orange butter icing: the same as chocolate except instead of cocoa, use lemon or orange zest, and a teaspoon of vanilla or a tiny bit of the lemon or orange juice.
- Sift before measuring,cake flour, resift with sugar.
- add soft butter, eggs,milk, salt baking powder and vanilla.
- Beat these ingredients vigorously with a wire whisk or electric beater for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Bake the cake in a buttered 9 x 13 inch pan or in two 8 inch buttered, round layer pans in a moderate oven (350°F) for about 1/2 hour or until tester inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Spice cake: add to flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon cloves.
- Chocolate cake: Use 4 tablespoons less flour and add to flour 4 tablespoons cocoa.
This TRULY is an easy cake! So easy I let my 3 and 6 year olds help me make it. They loved helping, and were so happy to see and taste the finished product! We added 1/2 teaspoon orange extract and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice with the vanilla. This gave the cake a lovely citrus flavor that could be eaten straight out of the pan with no topping, or with a little butter spread on top. Also had a piece with a lemon dessert sauce and it was delicious. This will be a standby for ANY time I need a quick dessert. I can't wait to try your variations! Thanks for posting!
This is a nice snack cake for a lazy Sunday afternoon. I was thinking vanilla, or maybe flavor the cake batter with orange extract, but it was my husband's turn to choose and he said chocolate. I mixed some pecans into the batter, and didn't frost the cake. It's nice, and couldn't have been easier. My dark chocolate loving husband is very happy, and I'm not complaining, really...but I'd still prefer orange. Will have to make it again. Thank you for sharing this recipe.