Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
I won a recipe contest judged by Jamie Shannon, of Commanders Palace, New Orleans, LA, with this one. Be sure to serve it up in small slices, it's rich!. It also freezes very well and can be sliced with a sharp knife while still frozen.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter (measure cold, then melt)
- 1 cup chocolate or 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate chips (mini)
- 1⁄4 cup coconut flakes, sweetened
- 1⁄2 cup pecan pieces
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄3 cup Karo syrup, dark
- 6 tablespoons butter (measure cold, then melt)
- 2 tablespoons caramel sauce
- 24 ounces semisweet baking chocolate
- 12 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 9 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons instant coffee (in 1/2 c. of boiling water)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- BOTTOM CRUST--------------------------.
- Prepare 10-inch springform pan by lining bottom with wax paper; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Crush crackers into FINE crumbs (5 or 6 sheets should yield about 1 cup).
- Combine crackers and butter until completely mixed, press into bottom of pan.
- Bake at 325°F for 10 minutes, allow to cool on wire rack.
- FOR THE SIDE CRUST-----------------.
- After bottom crust has cooled, line sides of pan with wax paper, set aside.
- Crush crackers into FINE crumbs.
- Mix nuts, crush in a zip-lock bag with a rolling pin until coarse.
- Combine nuts, chocolate, coconut and cracker crumbs; mix until well combined.
- To the nut mixture add melted butter, mix, add honey, caramel and Karo, mix until well combined.
- Press mixture onto sides of prepared pan, cover and refrigerate.
- FOR THE FILLING--------------------.
- Melt Chocolate.
- Prepare coffee, allow to cool.
- Whip cream cheese, butter and 1/2 cup of the sugar on medium speed till light and fluffy (5 to 10 minutes in a stand mixer).
- Beat egg yolk and 1/4 cup of sugar until thick and pale yellow (10 mins on high).
- Combine cream cheese/butter mixture, coffee and egg mixture, beat for 10 mins on medium.
- Add chocolate, continue to beat on med-lo speed for 5 mins or until well mixed.
- In an ice cold, clean, metal bowl beat cream on high until frothy.
- Add cream of tartar and 1/4 cup of sugar, and vanilla, beat until soft peaks form.
- Lighten chocolate mixture with 1/4 of the whipped cream then fold remaining whip cream into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into crust, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve with whipped cream and caramel sauce.
The most delicious chocolate desert I have ever eaten! Intense chocolate and coffee flavors, with a chocolate crumb base surrounded by a chewy chocolate, nut and coconut side crust. The recipe title does not do justice to this chocolate lovers dream! I made 1/2 the recipe and used just the chocolate graham crackers. The only thing I would do different would be to substitute pasturized egg yolks. Thank you Steve for this treasure!
For a 1" thick +-, 8" Diameter version, scale this recipe to 8 servings for the filling and to 12 serving for the crust. Make it in a 8" spring form pan. If you want to avoid the raw eggs, you can beat the eggs and sugar over shimmering water until it reaches 165 degrees. Just keep stirring and don't try to incorporate too much air or it'll take for-ever to heat.