Recipe by limejen
A flavoursome spinach, cheese and rice pie, wrapped in moreish wholemeal short pastry. This is a recipe I have been refining for years, finally arriving at the perfect combination of nutty brown rice, three cheeses and spinach. Supposedly originating in the Hunza Valley in Asia, this was a popular "hippy" dish in the 60's.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 cups whole meal flour
- 125 g chopped butter
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large brown onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, chopped and wilted or 1 (10 ounce) packet frozen spinach, cooked
- 100 g crumbled feta
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- 200 g grated tasty cheese
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- nutmeg, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Combine flours and butter in a food processor. Process until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Add cold water and process until dough comes together.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth, 4-5 minutes.
- Wrap dough in cling wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- Melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the spinach, feta, ricotta, cheese and eggs, stirring to combine.
- Add the rice and onion.
- Season generously with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Divide pastry into 4.
- Roll ¼ of pastry into round (dinner plate size) approximately 2mm thick. Place on baking tray.
- Heap ½ of filling onto pastry, leaving 2cm rim around outside. Cover with second rolled out piece of pastry. Crimp edges. Slash top to vent steam.
- Make second pie with remaining pastry and filling.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 200C, then reduce oven to 180C and bake for a further 40 minutes.
- Pie is ready when pastry is golden.