Recipe by ccferne
Comes from 'Adventures in Wine Cookery' (1965), a collection of recipes from California wine makers. As the contributor suggests, it's great party fare. You don't have to tell that there's cream of mushroom or chicken soup in it. This is worth the effort for a special potluck or buffet dinner party. It saves time to cook the chicken the night before making the rest of the recipe, giving the broth time to defat in the fridge. Then you can cut up the cold chicken while you cook the macaroni.
- 2 (2 -3 lb) chicken
- 1 cup white wine
- salt & pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups small shell pasta
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pimiento
- 2 (4 ounce) cans button mushrooms, drained
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 4 -5 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup cheese cracker crumbs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chicken in wine and enough water to cover until tender, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Pour off and reserve liquid; remove fat; add enough water to make 1-1/2 cups.
- Cook macaroni and green pepper in chicken liquid for 10 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid.
- Remove chicken from bones and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chicken, cooked macaroni, green pepper, drained mushrooms, soup, chicken liquid, and Tabasco sauce.
- In an 8x12-in baking dish, layer half the chicken mixture followed by half the cracker crumbs and cheese. Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees until cheese has melted.