Recipe by Chocolatl
A pasta casserole using cooked chicken. Adapted from Favorite Recipes from America's Dairyland, which features recipes submitted by the residents of Wisconsin (no individual credits are given). For a facsimile copy of this book, go to this site: http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/turningpoints/search.asp?id=1536 I would use light cream or half-and-half for this dish. The original recipe calls for the cream to be scalded (heated to just below the boiling point), but I don't see the necessity for this. By all means do it if you like.
- 2 cups macaroni, uncooked
- boiling salt water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 cup cream cheese, cut up (8 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons pimiento, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth, heated
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain.
- Melt butter in a skillet.
- Stir in flour.
- Add cream and stir until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Add cream cheese, pimiento, and chicken broth, and stir until cream cheese melts.
- Add chicken and macaroni. Stir well.
- Pour into a lightly greased casserole dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until bubbly.