Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This casserole is very rich and tasty. Don't snack on chips before dinner because you'll want to go back for seconds on this dish. Toasted French bread and salad accompanies this dish very well. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- 8 -12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 lb mild Italian sausage
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion (about 1 small-medium onion)
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mild cheddar cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon oregano or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, about
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, about
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, about
- Preheat oven to 375-400°.
- Cook noodles, slightly undercooked.
- In a separate pan, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil; add sausage and brown.
- After brown, add tomatoes and spices, and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for roughly 5 minutes.
- Drain noodles and pour into 2-3 quart casserole dish.
- Pour tomato/sausage mixture into dish and toss.
- Add cheddar cheese and blend.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese to cover top of casserole.
- Sprinkle roughly 2 Tbsp.
- olive oil over casserole.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until top is brown and casserole is heated.